Skip to main content

Thoughts on Poetry...

...after a conversation with my mother who taught me to appreciate it:

When I taught the poetry class last fall, the curriculum described poetry, in part, as "compressed thought." And so it is. Good poetry, at least, prevents you from saying "getting rid of things" to propel you to a better word such as "eradicate." And then it challenges you to use it in conjunction with other works like "enumerate" or "predicate." All the while, demanding further restraints of dactyl or pentameter. It would seem, at first glance, that the number of literary requirements upon good poetry would make it almost impossible to achieve something noteworthy, and yet there are hundreds (thousands) of poems that exquisitely capture the emotions of universal moments better than entire volumes often do. Poetry expresses only what must be said about a topic and does it more eloquently. The constraints improve the product.




And such is life - or can be... We recoil and rebel against rules and restrictions. We think our lives are always expressed best in unrestricted free verse. But what if disciplines and denials of self actually force us to become our better selves, weeding out the habits and pastimes of ease and luxury to find better thoughts and grander actions? The very things we think will stifle and stunt us, instead became the things that shape us into deliberate existences that inspire and encourage all who stop to read the pages of our lives.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Journey Beyond Fear

" List three fears... Now imagine they floated away in three hot air balloons.  What would you be free to do? " The exercise is in the colorful journal of random instructions that promise to help me live more present but not try to be perfect. Most pages are palatably light and fluffy, but this one challenges me. I find myself chewing on the question. I know what I'm afraid of, that's the easy part: failure - letting others down; the opinion of others - not as much as I have been afraid, but the snake is not dead; disappointing God - really, how to only pick three? But the daydream that I could let those parts of my soul-fabric float away and be left with a new-found freedom doesn't easily resonate. I would be free to ... to what? Honestly, not one thing comes to mind! Aren't my fears the motivations that keep me doing the things I should? If I didn't fear failing as a mother, what would motivate me to put my all into my kids? Doesn't ...

Healing Rain

The day is cold and dark and dreary, It rains and the wind is never weary, The vine still clings to the moldering wall, But at every gust, the dead leaves fall, And the day is dark and dreary... The winter rains have begun. The cold wet blew steadily last night, pouring down the panes and collecting in puddles, sounding incessantly on the roof. There is a thought dripping in my mind this morning as well, chilling my mood. It repeats, over and over, with deliberate monotony, the name I call myself after the conversation before sleep, "Failure. Failure. Failure." And I reach for the blanket of shame and retreat behind the barrier of guilt, habitually donning an icy demeanor to keep him at arm's length - The Man who misfortuned to speak the concern that resounded like disappointment in my ears. We have been here before. These cold, wintery days have come in seasons past as well. My prevalent insecurities have made me prone to hear opportunities f...

The Windows to His Soul

All I asked the tall boy was, "So... How are  you?"  Who knew it was that easy? My sister-in-law had spoken of a book telling of the impact on broken children of the simple act of eye contact. I thought of it as the son invaded my culinary corner, helping himself brazenly to bites of the dinner, not yet finished. He laughed at some joke of his own making and I sought his eyes - chiseled face like his father's but eyes like mine. Just a moment of connection before he turned back to taste another tidbit, so I made a quick attempt at small talk, "So...How are you?" He held my gaze just a second longer than before, but apparently it was enough to build a trust-bridge, for the next moment, he began gushing all the details of some conflict fought and then resolved, of new understanding between the brothers, of a change of heart. All this heart-talk from the teen mouth that usually flows with untimely humor or cutting sarcasm! Why have ...